FOUNDING and 1920s
- July 24th, 1919 – the University of Agriculture in Brno (UA Brno) with its Department of Economics and Forestry, was established by decree of the National Assembly. The study programme took 4 years and course were carried out in Czech. Brno soon became a recognized centre for forestry education.
- October 27th, 1920 – studies at the Forestry Department began. The first 208 students enrolled. In the early years, excellent practitioners came to the school, whose experience and outlook brought esteem to forestry education. Significant results were soon achieved with the combination of education and research. Czech forestry science enjoyed international recognition, while remaining true to its mission: to serve forestry practice.
- 1922–1924 – The Moravian Provincial Committee began the construction of the Provincial Agricultural Research Institute.
- 1922 – The School Farm (later known as theSchool Forest Enterprise, now known as the Masaryk Forest Training Enterprise at Křtiny) was established with the transfer of the Adamov manor. The school farm, with an area of 11,000 ha, significantly increased the status of forestry education in Brno. • January 1st, 1923 – The school farm was handed over to the Forestry Department of the University of Agriculture in Brno.
FORCED CLOSURE OF SCHOOLS
- November 17th, 1939 – development disrupted by the closure of universities under the German occupation.
- May 3rd, 1945, activities of the University of Agriculture in Brno were resumed.
1940s – 50s
- revolutionary economic-political and social changes brought considerable instability to the management and operation of the University of Agriculture in Brno. Politically unsuitable teachers were fired and their positions were filled by active members of the Czechoslovak Union of Youth and the Communist Party of Czechoslovakia.
1950s – 60s
- September 1st, 1950 – the Faculty of Forestry was established with six departments, the Faculty of Agriculture with seven departments. The fields of economics, woodworking, cultivation, production, construction, technical and mining technology were established.
- June 1st, 1952 – The Faculty of Forestry was incorporated into the University of Civil Engineering in Brno, the duration of study was extended to five years.
- June 1st, 1956 – the faculty was again removed from the University of Civil Engineering and reincorporated into the University of Agriculture in Brno. It was renamed the University of Agriculture and Forestry in Brno. Three years later, the name of the school was again changed to the University of Agriculture in Brno.
- 1960 – construction of student accommodation began in Brno on Kohoutova street. The work was completed five years later.
- 1964–1969 – students published “LEF” journal, reflecting, among other things, political changes in society, which led to the journal being banned.
1970s – 80s
- 1970 – a new study format was introduced in response to the requirement for thorough content reconstruction.
- 1971 – construction of the Gamekeeper Training and Research Area in Lednice began.
- 1986 – the curriculum was modified and the construction of an external purpose-built workplace in Útěchov near Brno began. (This workplace now focuses on the production of building structures from compound materials).
- 1989 – the events of Velvet Revolution saw the establishment of a student strike committee. Academic faculty boards and academic university boards were established – they were succeeded by the current academic senates. The management of the university, faculties, departments, collegiums of deans and scientific boards of faculties and universities were partially restructured.
1990s – PRESENT
- 1990 – postgraduate Ph.D. study programmes (Ph.D.) began and academic senates of faculties and the university were established. A year later, the “katedra” (department) of the faculty was renamed ”ústavy” (institutes) in a return to pre-war tradition. The Křtiny Research Station (focusing on the development and production of forestry equipment) became a part of the Masaryk Forest Training Enterprise at Křtiny. Instruction began in a separate Wood Engineering programme.
- 1992 – The State Testing Laboratory for Construction and Joinery Products in Zlín was transferred to the administration of the University of Agriculture in Brno as its woodworking research institute.
- 1992 – “Green” students’ club resumes operation (founded in 1969).
- 1993 – Faculty of Forestry renamed the Faculty of Forestry and Wood Technology.
- 1995 – The University of Agriculture in Brno became the new Mendel University of Agriculture and Forestry in Brno.
- 1996 – the lumber pavilion – building T – was handed over to the Departments of Woodworking Technology.
- 1997 – a separate Landscape Engineering study programme was added to the curriculum.
- 1999 – the pavilion of wood technology – building P – was put into operation.
- 2002 – reconstruction of the Faculty of Forestry and Wood Technology building (building B) began.
- 2002 – the student magazine “LEF” was relaunched.
- In the following years, new study programmes were added: Furniture Engineering (2006), Wood-Based Construction (2008), Arboriculture and Natural Resource Management of Tropical and Subtropical Areas (2009).
- 2010 – the title of the University-Mendel University of Agriculture and Forestry in Brno (MUAF) was shortened to Mendel University in Brno (MENDELU).
- 2015 – The Josef Ressel Research Centre in Útěchov was the first establishment in the Czech Republic to engage in research in the field of wood.
- 2019 – The Faculty of Forestry and Wood Technology celebrated 100 years of existence.