Thomas Jung and Clive Brasier putting a Phytophthora baiting raft into a forest stream in Japan
These findings were recently published:
Jung, T., Horta Jung, M., Webber, J.F., Kageyama, K., Hieno, A., Masuya, H., Uematsu, S., Pérez-Sierra, A., Harris, A.R., Forster, J., Rees, H., Scanu, B., Patra, S., Kudláček, T., Janoušek, J., Corcobado, T., Milenković, I., Nagy, Z., Csorba, I., Bakonyi, J., Brasier, C.M. (2021).
The destructive tree pathogen Phytophthora ramorum originates from the laurosilva forests of East Asia. The Journal of Fungi, 7, 226. DOI: 10.3390/jof7030226
Phytophthora ramorum is an aerial oomycete pathogen with a wide host range in its introduced state. Since ca 1990, it has caused the deaths of millions of native oaks and tanoaks in western North America (“sudden oak death”) and later of plantation grown larch (“sudden larch death”) in the UK and other European countries. Phytophthora ramorum is included in the EPPO A2 List of pests recommended for regulation as quarantine pests and is considered by the EU as an “harmful organism” and managed as such since 2002 (2002/757/EC); this microorganism quarantine status is also in place in the USA and many other countries worldwide.
The main conclusions of the investigations led by PRC are:
– Based on extensive phenotypic and phylogenetic studies, 8 new lineages were found in Vietnam and Japan, in addition to the already known 4 invasive clonal lineages of P. ramorum
– Several lines of evidence indicate that these East Asian P. ramorum populations are native and that northern Indochina and south west Japan lie within the centre of origin of P. ramorum:
1. In contrast to the introduced P. ramorum lineages in Europe and North America, the east Asian populations are very diverse. Despite the small, highly localised samples, multiple phenotypically and phylogenetically different lineages were present in both areas.
2. Unlike the introduced clonal lineages, the A1 and A2 mating types co-occur in these Asian populations (indicating possible sexual reproduction).
3. Despite the presence of many potential plant hosts, no obvious host symptoms were observed in any sampled area, consistent with the view that native Phytophthoras cause limited damage to their co-evolved host plants. Nonetheless, P. ramorum was isolated readily from detached leaves and flowers that had fallen into forest streams or onto the forest floor.
4. At some sites, two of P. ramorum’s closest phylogenetic relatives were also isolated, namely P. foliorum and P. lateralis (which, like P. ramorum, are damaging introduced pathogens in Europe and North America).
These findings emphasise the importance of conducting further surveys in underexplored natural ecosystems on a global scale followed by extensive pathogenicity and host range testing in order to analyse the risk posed by unknown exotic Phytophthoras to the worlds forests and improve global plant biosecurity.
Contact for more information: Dr. Thomas Jung, Faculty of Forestry and Wood Technology; +420 545 136 172, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Mendel University campus in Černá Pole has expanded with a new building, the MENDELU design lab. The ground floor, including the outdoor terrace, provides space for meetings, creative activities and exhibitions, the upper floor is a zone for…20. 2. 2023
University Masaryk Forest donates 100 trees to the Masaryk Forest in Israel as…The benefit evening was attended by representatives of the School Forestry Enterprise and the Faculty of Forestry and Wood. "The trees are a symbolic link between the two forests that bear the name of President Liberator. In this connection, we…10. 2. 2023
Scientists from FFWT MENDELU participate in conservation of the Morvan Nature…At the French archaeological site of Bibracte, scientists from the Department of Geology and Soil Science of the FFWT MENDELU are participating in European research. Their aim is to propose suitable measures for the conservation and adaptation of…16. 1. 2023
New forestry authorities and a freer hand to fight climate changeRepresentatives of forest owners, foresters, conservationists, academics and related industries have agreed on eight requirements to ensure the stability of domestic forests, maintaining their competitiveness and resilience. The platform for the…9. 1. 2023
MENDELU experts contribute to the protection of Ethiopia's Lake AwassaScientists at MENDELU have made a significant contribution to improving the environment of Ethiopia's Lake Awassa and its surroundings. On one side, the lake is adjacent to Awassa city, while on the other side lies agricultural land and a protected…4. 1. 2023
SilvaNet-WoodNet 2022Grant board of the IGA FFWT MENDELU awarded the student presentations at the SilvaNet-WoodNet 2022 conference The Grant board of the Internal Grant Agency (IGA) of the Faculty of Forestry and Wood Science Mendel University in Brno awarded an…29. 11. 2022
Foresters from the CR and Austria are to share informationCzech and Austrian foresters are to share information on the current situation on both sides of the border. Specialists from Mendel University in Brno and other specialist work sites have prepared for them a manual on how to act in risky situations…30. 9. 2022
Dendrochronologists collect wood samples in NorwayCurrent research involving scientists from Mendel University in Brno aims to help understand the impact of climate change on the amount of driftwood on the Arctic coast. At the beginning of August, samples were taken from driftwood in the north of…5. 9. 2022
Czech foresters train Mongolian colleaguesExperts from the Czech Republic are teaching their Mongolian colleagues how to take care of the forest. Forestry is at a low level of development in Mongolia. There is a lack of knowledge and experience in the field, and the situation regarding the…17. 8. 2022
ASFORCLIC completed its 18 monthsThe ASFORCLIC project – Adaption strategies in forestry under global climate change impact has completed its first 18 months and now moves on to its second period. This milestone allows reflections and future outlook. ASFORCLIC opens doors for…11. 7. 2022